You’ve just arrived at your destination, the holiday you have been planning and looking forward to for months is about to begin. What are the top six things you should do in the first 24 hours?
1. Confirm your checkout time. Surprisingly, some hotels have later checkout times. Most travellers assume that they have to be packed and checked out of their rooms by 10 am but a lot of hotels are now offering later checkouts. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy a few extra drinks or sightseeing opportunities the night before? Or a bit of a sleep in?
2. Reset your body clock by getting into the rhythm of your destination. If you arrive late at night go straight to bed, or if you find yourself at your destination early in the morning, have a cup of tea and some toast (or whatever you would normally have for breakfast), then take a walk around town. Don’t be tempted to keep in sync with your normal routine as you will find yourself behind the eight-ball the whole holiday.
3. Don’t be tempted – try to ignore your caffeine addiction. If you arrive at your destination late at night and are dying for a cup of coffee, ignore the temptation. As per above, try to adjust your body clock ASAP. Or simply hold off having your first strong cup of coffee until you wake up on the first morning in your new destination.
4. While taking your stroll around after arriving at your destination, make sure to take a lot of photos while your eye is still fresh.
5. Charge on! Whatever electronics you are carrying with you, whether it be your phone, camera or iPad, as soon as you check into your room plug them into the charger. There is nothing more frustrating than your camera’s battery dying just as you arrive at your first photo opportunity.
6. Let your loved ones know that you have arrived safely. Call, email, or send a text message with your accommodation and contact details.
What do you do within the first 24 hours of arriving at your destination? Do you have any useful tips to share?