The pretty cobblestoned streets of the medieval town of Regensburg are worth a weekend to explore, but if you only have a day to see what’s on offer, here are the top five things you must do.
1. Dom St Peter Cathedral – with its dual spires towering over 100 metres it is an imposing landmark of Regensburg. Once you pass through it’s imposing doors you will see it’s glorious stained windows and stunning rococo interior.
2. The Stone Bridge (Steinerne Bruche) – its 16 arches span the Danube and for over 800 years it was the only bridge crossing the river.
3. Domschatz Museum – (Cathedral Treasury Museum) contains beautiful religious items dating back over 500 years.
4. Oscar Schindler House – made famous by Steven Speilberg’s Schindlers List, the house where Oscar Schindler was born.
5. Historische Wurstkuchi – located on the Thundorfer Strasse and open from 8am until 7pm daily, it has been serving its finger sausages with sauerkraut and mustard since 1135 – over 900 years of customer service can’t be wrong.